Cosmetic dentistry is a great way to improve or restore your smile. Its popularity grows every year, with many people choosing porcelain veneers to achieve the perfect smile they’ve always dreamed of. But are porcelain veneers the right choice for you? Here’s everything you need to know to make the right decision.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Veneers are thin wafers of porcelain that are permanently bonded to your teeth. They are ideal for masking discolored, misshapen, or misaligned teeth. These tooth-colored shells can also be made from resin-composite materials and are used to treat a number of different cosmetic concerns. It is possible to get just one veneer, but most people opt for eight to ten of them in order to create a symmetrical smile.
Ways Porcelain Veneers Can Help You
The biggest benefit to veneers is how they improve the appearance of your teeth, but the advantages don’t stop there.
- Give you a smile you’re happier with and make you less self-conscious about your teeth
- Fix broken, cracked, or chipped teeth and other small cosmetic issues that are visible when you smile or talk
- Fix stained teeth and help prevent tooth discoloration
- Fix teeth with gaps between them
- Improve misaligned or crooked teeth that don’t require the wearing of braces
One of best reasons to choose veneers over other cosmetic dentistry treatments is because of how long the results can last. They’re also easy to take care of.
Requirements for Porcelain Veneers
The veneer process usually requires several visits to your dentist: a consultation and then two appointments to make and apply the veneers. Other important factors to consider include:
- Veneers are an investment. When properly taken care of, veneers can last up to 15 years. So, while it’s true porcelain veneers are one of the more costly cosmetic dentistry procedures, the benefits they offer make them a great long-term investment.
- They require upkeep just like regular teeth. People who have dental veneers love that they’re low maintenance and stain-resistant. But veneers still need to be cared for with a good at-home oral hygiene routine. Brushing twice a day and flossing once daily will help you maintain good oral health and extend the life of your veneers.
Not everyone is a good candidate for veneers, so it’s important to consult with your dentist to find out if it’s a procedure that will work for you. If you have significant teeth crowding, failing teeth or gums, or a misaligned bite, you might need a different dental treatment to correct your smile.
Are Porcelain Veneers Right for You?
There are other ways to get a brighter smile, such as professional teeth whitening, teeth bonding, and crowns. But porcelain veneers are a good option for people who want to make a bigger change to the shape of their teeth.
If you’re thinking of investing in porcelain veneers to replace your stained, chipped, and/or misaligned teeth, reach out to Caven Dental today to request a consultation and learn about whether they’re right for you. We offer a full range of cosmetic dentistry options, one of which is sure to restore your bright and beautiful smile.